On April 26, Chinese President Xi Jinping gave a keynote speech at the opening ceremony of the Second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation in Beijing.
The following are highlights from Xi's speech:
- As a Chinese saying goes, “The ceaseless inflow of rivers makes the ocean deep”. However, were such inflow to be cut, the ocean, however big, would eventually dry up.
- "Plants with strong roots grow well, and efforts with the right focus will ensure success.” The Belt and Road cooperation embraces the historical trend of economic globalization, responds to the call of improving the global governance system and meets people’s longing for a better life.
- I’m confident that as we work closely together, we will transcend geographical distance and embark on a path of win-win cooperation.
- Going ahead, we should focus on priorities and project execution, move forward result-oriented implementation and jointly promote high-quality Belt and Road cooperation.
- We need to pursue open, green and clean cooperation. The Belt and Road is not an exclusive club, and aims to promote green development. We may launch green infrastructure and projects, make green investment, and provide green financing to protect the earth which we all call “home”. In pursuing Belt and Road cooperation, everything should be done in a transparent way, and we should have zero tolerance for corruption.
- Today, China has reached a new historical starting point. However, we are keenly aware that with all we have achieved, there are still many mountains to scale, and many shores to navigate.
- We Chinese have a saying that, “Honoring a promise carries the weight of gold”.
- We need to be guided by the principle of extensive consultation, joint contribution and shared benefits. We need to act in the spirit of multilateralism, pursue cooperation through consultation, and keep all parities motivated. We may, by engaging in bilateral, trilateral and multilateral cooperation, fully tap into the strengths of all participants. Just as a Chinese proverb goes, “A tower is built when soil on earth accumulate, and a river is formed when streams come together.”
- Belt and Road cooperation has both generated new opportunities for the development of all participating countries and opened up new horizon for China’s development and opening-up.
- We are convinced that a more open China will further integrate itself into the world and deliver greater progress and prosperity for both China and the world at large.
Going forward, China will take a series of major reform and opening up measures.
First, we will expand market access for foreign investment in more areas, and we will continue to slash the negative list.
Second, we will intensify efforts to enhance international cooperation in intellectual property protection. Without innovation there will be no progress.
Third, we will increase the import of goods and services on an even larger scale. China is both a global factory and a global market. China does not seek trade surplus. We want to import more competitive, quality agricultural products, manufactured goods and services.
Fourth, we will more effectively engage in international macroeconomic policy coordination. The globalized economy calls for global governance. China will not resort to the beggar-thy-neighbor practice on RMB devaluation. We will keep the RMB exchange rate basically stable.
Fifth, we will work harder to ensure the implementation of opening up related policies. We Chinese have a saying that, “Honoring a promise carries the weight of gold”.